What can be more impressive and eye-catching than a life-size 3D printed model? For the fans of GoT (Games of Thrones), seeing a life-size statue of the Night King or other recognized character from the TV series is something magical. Looking at the fabulous project built by Tatiana Rizou, it is hard to believe that it was crafted by a tender woman on one 3D printer only. No wonder, this giant Night King statue helped Tatiana to win in the Life-Size 3D Print competition.
Gambody got a fantastic chance to ask Tatiana some questions about her giant Night King. This life-size 3D print was built in Greece. It has many impressive details and boasts outstanding painting work.
Night King Life-Size 3D Printed Model
With different manufacturers, settings of 3D printers and filament types, it is hard to find two similar printed projects. The giant Night King, 3D printed model by Tatiana, is definitely a one-of-a-kind statue.
It is unbelievable, but this giant was made on Creality CR-10 S5 3D printer. It was crafted on a heated plate with a volume of 19.68″ x 19.68″ x 19.68″ (500x500x500mm).
You can also give it a try. You can download Night King GoT STL files on Gambody – Premium 3D printing marketplace. This model was designed by Xander3D who took into consideration the original movie story, added a spear which was used by Night King to strike a dragon and designed metal armour.
Anyone who is looking for an outstanding life-size 3D printing model can begin with the Night King. Luckily, Tatiana was kind enough to share her tips, experience and tricks associated with making this giant Game of Thrones statue.
3D Printed Life-Size Statue of Night King: Interview with Tatiana
It is best to say a couple of words about the life-size 3D printed models contest. It was organized by the administrator of Life-Size 3D Print facebook group, Jeff Vaesken.
There were 36 submissions of life-size 3D printed models for this contest, but only three of them, including the winner Night King, made it to the finals and placed the top three winning places. Gambody – Premium 3D printing marketplace was one of the sponsors of this fantastic contest, and now we are proud to talk with Tatiana from Greece about her outstanding performance.
1. Tatiana, first of all, Gambody team congratulates you as the winner of the Life-Size 3D Print Contest. Your giant Night King model is outstanding! How did you find out about this contest? Was it a difficult decision to participate or not?
Hello. First of all, I want to thank the rating committee and the people for the votes that put me in the top spot of the first life-size 3D print competition by Life-Size 3D Print Facebook team. Also, I want to thank you very much for the wonderful prizes and the opportunity for this interview.
I learned about the competition from my brother Sryros Rizos (third-place winner), who was already a member of the team. He was so excited. I decided immediately to join in.
As a big fan of the Game of Thrones series, I was already preparing the Night King in real size to decorate my workshop.
2. Can you tell us more about your background and how you learned about 3D printing? When did you start making your first 3D prints?
I am a painter (since I remember myself) and have studied graphic design.
I have been involved in 3D printing for two years. Initially, I started it as a hobby and the last year more professionally. I maintain two 3D printing workshops, one in Volos, Magnesia, which I curate, and one in Mytilene, Lesvos, where my brother is in charge.
3. The original Night King 3D printing model is designed by Xander3D. The author of this project, which is available on Gambody 3D printing marketplace, created Night King of about 25 cm (10 inches) in height. This FDM 3D printer project is cut into 18 parts for smoother printing experience. How did you scale the files to make the life-size statue?
The Night King file, designed by Xander3D and available on the GAMBODY marketplace, is excellent. I cut it into 35 pieces to print without any supports.
3D printing was done on a single 3D printer (Creality CR-10S5).
4. How much time and filament did you use to make it?
It took 630 hours and 18 kg PLA or 40 lbs PLA (I prefer our own PLA 3D DESIGN WORKSHOP).
5. How did you paint the life-size 3D printed model? Who helped you? Did you manage to complete the painting during the live stream?
I joined the pieces on my own, closed the joints with fused PLA, shredded them and primed the whole construction.
Then I set up a pedestal on the pedestrian street in front of my workshop in Volos, where, with the valuable help of Apostolia Diamanti, we painted the Night King live in 5 hours!
I used acrylic paints and matte varnish, with which I finished the whole construction with a paint gun.
6. What is the size of your giant Night King? How heavy is this life-size 3D printed model?
The Night King now weighs 20 kg (44 lbs), and its spear reaches 2 meters (6.6 feet) in length.
It is essential for our convenience and the right results, to use the right tools (brushes, airbrush, paint gun, etc.) and materials (paints, varnishes, thinners, etc.), depending on the requirements of our project.
7. Judging by your photos, the Night King is not your first 3D printed life-size model. What other projects have you turned into life?
Night King is not my first large-scale 3D printing project.
I have built an astronaut on the moon (2 meters or 6.6 feet the whole construction), decorating the central bar of the largest and most popular nightclub in Volos.
I also made the Chucky doll (1 meter or 3.3 feet).
8. Do life-size statues decorate the front entrance of your 3D Design Workshop? What is the typical reaction of passers-by when they see such huge 3D prints?
Yes, the Chucky doll together with the Night King model decorates the entrance of my workshop in Volos. When the passers-by see them, they hug the statues and take pictures with them.
The excitement, the admiration and the joy in their eyes, is the reward and the power to continue my work.
9. Do you plan to exhibit your life-size 3D printed models in your city or around the world?
My dream is to acquire an exhibition space full of my 3D printed life-size constructions, which can be visited by people from all over the world.
10. Which is the next 3D printing model you are planning to make?
My next 3D project will be very soon with you, as I am at the point of joining the tracks. It’s a surprise!
I hope you will love it like the giant Night King model. Maybe more! I love it already!
Thank you very much, everyone, and especially my brother Spyros Rizos, for introducing me to this beautiful 3D printing world, and my son Taksiarchi Manolia, who patiently and lovingly tolerates all of my creative passion. I’ll be back!
Each stunning life-size 3D printed model amazes. When you happen to be in Volos, make sure to pass by Tatiana’s workshop to adore the statue of her giant Night King and other human-sized projects created by this talented woman. It is fantastic to get to know incredible 3D printing enthusiasts from Gambody Facebook group and enjoy their prints, both online and in the real world.